Monday, October 29, 2007

Big Girls DO Cry!

Today was a sad day (see #1 below), and it brought to mind some other sad days in my not-so-long-ago past. Since I love lists, here is a list of the 5 silliest things I've cried about (as an adult):

5. When I was losing at Monopoly (badly) and landed on Boardwalk with a hotel (which I obviously did not own)

4. When I discovered that one of my Precious Moments figurines had been broken (and sneakily glued back together without my knowledge. The perpetrator has yet to identify him/herself.)

3. When my waffle batter completely stuck to my "non-stick" waffle iron as I was cooking breakfast for some friends, thus forcing me to alter my menu at the last minute (you may recall that "melancholies" do not like change!)

2. When I came home one evening to the sound of muffled meows and discovered my kitten Monklet in a drawer (I was completely traumatized. She was perfectly fine, of course.) I'll post more about Monklet later. She was the greatest cat EVER.

1. When, today, I sold my first and only car after 10 1/2 years. (Goodbye, my friend; you served me well, despite your broken a/c, doors that froze at the slightest frost, water damage-y smell due to your leaking trunk that I let go unfixed for too long, and non-automatic everything. I still love you and will miss you dearly.)

To ease my trauma, AJ brought me flowers and a sympathy card this morning. The sympathy card read, "Memories of those 'cars' (inserted by AJ) we've loved stay close to us, keeping our hearts company... May each memory comfort and bring you peace."

Fortunately I have many memories of "little red" to bring me comfort: our drive across the country... the time she locked the doors on me with my keys and wallet inside while I was outside at a Burger King in the pouring rain... her beautiful veil (a.k.a. the tarp I covered her trunk with before I fixed the aforementioned leak problem)... the time she spun me off the road and into a snow bank where there was no cell service (she never even told why she was mad; I wonder if it had something to do with the veil...). Well, the list could go on forever.

In any case, I had hoped to post a picture of me with "little red" but my evil camera was out of battery this morning. So, I'll figure out a way to get one in the next couple of days or I'll scrounge up an old one from the past. Check back soon.

(By the way, I went to the spa on Saturday for a facial and a massage, so at least I was nice and relaxed for today's trauma.)

4 comments:

Carol said...

Deepest sympathy expressed in the loss of your car. BUT, when you get a new one (I know, it is hard to imagine now--why, it shouldn't even be mentioned during the mourning period!) with doors that work well, clean air, a/c, etc., well, you'll appreciate it soooo much that you'll just have fond memories of 'Red' and no sadness. I guarantee it! :>)

WHO in the world broke the Precious Moments figurine and didn't tell you????

And WHO put your kitten in the drawer!!! I think PETA should be notified!!

Take care Christie!
carol

Princess in Galoshes said...

Oh! I remember that little car taking all of us (and our luggage!) to the airport on Christmas break... to New Mexico on block break... to the McDonalds on lunch break.... CCC driving the CC. Hee hee.

I'm done.

And FOR THE RECORD- Monklet put her own, looney toons self in that drawer, and she probably stank it up with her un-normal-kitty-like stench.

Bless, you, Christie, for loving her so much, anyway.

Anna said...

You are really funny.

Jenn said...

I remember that Monopoly game.