I have always been fascinated by personality studies. I enjoy taking personality tests (even though I labor over which answer really describes me), and I find them helpful in better understanding myself, AJ, my family, etc. Today I was browsing through the book "Talk Easy, Listen Hard" by Nancy Sebastian Meyer, and I came across the following personality categories on page 19:
SANGUINE
Strengths: popular, talkative, dramatic, optimistic, a people-pleaser
Weaknesses: forgetful, lacks follow-through, a poor listener
Basic Desire: FUN
CHOLERIC
Strengths: powerful, concise, a strong leader, realistic, results-oriented
Weaknesses: arrogant, controlling, brusque
Basic Desire: CONTROL
PHLEGMATIC
Strengths: peaceful, a good listener, loyal, relaxed, relational
Weaknesses: a procrastinator, non confrontational, tuned-out
Basic Desire: PEACE
MELANCHOLY
Strengths: perfect, analytical, sensitive, conscientious, task-oriented
Weaknesses: critical, moody, withdrawn
Basic Desire: PERFECTION
AJ and I are poster children for the Choleric and Melancholy personalities respectively. It is eerie that humans can somehow be divided into four categories that so accurately describe them. (I realize that these descriptions may not resonate with everyone the way they did with us, but still.) We read the chapters about our two personalities, and I felt like the author was describing our marriage. It was unnerving and kind of comforting at the same time.
Anyways, I am going to look into this further and see if I can be a better wife as a result. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, what personality are you?
1 comment:
Thank you for this book title! I have been trying to figure this out - just used your blog to give the title to a friend! Love Kim
Post a Comment