Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Inflatable, Inflatable

It's Christmastime in upstate New York... do you know what that means? Inflatable lawn ornaments! Classy, huh?

What is it about upstate New Yorkers that makes them love giant snowmen, Santa Clauses, penguin families and reindeer? I drove to Vermont a couple of years ago to do some Christmas shopping, and I did not see one inflatable. It was so... tasteful.

Anyway, I wrote this little song (to the tune of O Christmas Tree) to capture my feelings on inflatables. (Please note the sarcasm.)

Inflatable, Inflatable,
How lovely is your glowing.
Inflatable, Inflatable,
What Christmas cheer you're showing.
You make the lawn a festive sight
And brighten up the darkest night.
Inflatable, Inflatable,
How lovely is your glowing.


Inflatable, Inflatable,
You look so cute and jolly.
Inflatable, Inflatable,
My giant Christmas dolly.
To buy the Santa Claus deluxe,
It only cost me twenty bucks.
Inflatable, Inflatable,
You look so cute and jolly.

Inflatable, Inflatable,
Oh how the neighbors love you!
Inflatable, Inflatable,
You raise my house's value.
You complement my tire pile;
I think I'll keep you 'round awhile.
Inflatable, Inflatable,
Oh how the neighbors love you!

Inflatable, Inflatable,
The king of decorations.
Inflatable, Inflatable,
You're great for all occasions.
You hide the bare spot on my lawn;
Oh how I'll miss you when you're gone.
Inflatable, Inflatable,
The king of decorations.

8 comments:

The Richards said...

The Inflatable, inflatable song will always remain dear to us at the Richard house (you know how Matt loves made up songs, such as "The Middle of Nowhere", and "Where Have You Gone Steve-o?"). Even here in KY we have our own infladable paradise... Just out our window we have a great view of an inflatable snowman, santa and a merry-go-round featuring all of the above. However, we must say, that when you have a 19 month old, these items provide hours of entertainment... as he says, the merry-go-round goes "round and round and round (with hand motions, of course).

c3 said...

Oh, I love those songs! Maybe our husbands should join forces. AJ has some pretty good original works too. My favorites are, "Weavertown is Where the Weaver Lives" (in Strongbad voice, of course) and "We're Bringing Safety Back." BTW, that's so cute that J likes the merry-go-round.

Christina said...

I must hear these other songs...

Princess in Galoshes said...

I hear ya, m'dear. I am very relieved our neighborhood is more into the strings of lights than the oversized plastic snow globes.

Jenn said...

Hmmm... I guess Alex and I better take down our giant inflatable set of the three wise men before you get here...

Summer said...

This is a common sight in the midwest as well....I think I'll add your little tune to our family repertoire.

Lisa J. said...

Do you think this song would get us "snowballed" when we go caroling (or is it carolling? - I know you know)next weekend? Probably. Oh well, it's hilarious! Ok - I know it's caroling.

Anna said...

My favorite thing about the inflatables song is the number of verses.