Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Broken and Lost Things

This past week was pretty uneventful in my little blogging world. It looks like several of you posted yesterday or over the weekend, but last week was kind of a dry spell, huh?

I know, I'm hardly one to talk with my whopping ONE POST in 2008. But, I'm back and determined to spur on the rest of you too.

For me, last week was full of "To Do Lists" and getting organized for life in 2008. I'm kind of an organizational Nazi, as most of you know. I freak out about piles of mail, magazines... well, pretty much piles of anything. I like to have all surfaces clear at all times. Realistic, right?

Well, I'm not really that bad all the time, only when I get on one of these kicks, which, last week, included cleaning the house, doing lots of laundry, sorting through piles of receipts and catalogues, watering (and feeding!) my plants (by the way, the plant that was dying in December is much happier in its new roomier pot... but two of my other little ones are wilting away!), making and sending thank you cards for Christmas gifts, emailing Christmas pictures to my family, and sending back a few broken items still under warranty.

Which brings me to the point of this post: I hate it when things break. I don't mind spending money on something the first time, but I really don't like having to spend it twice. That is why I always take advantage of warranties. For example, our bathroom scale was not working. We thought it was a bad battery, but we got the battery tested, and it had almost a full charge.

So, I sent the scale back.

Yes, I am that girl. I am too cheap to spend the $21.99 it would take to replace the scale I bought in January 2004. I would rather hunt through my files to find both the warranty information and the receipt (can't believe I found that), bubble wrap the scale, and spend the $6.78 to UPS it to New Mexico. Because that's $15.21 less than I would have to spend on a new scale.

AJ thinks I'm insane and swears that I will never see my scale again. (That may not be a bad thing, since having it around is a constant sort of depression.) We'll see.

I also managed to break the tip of the blade off of my Calphalon paring knife, so I sent that back too. Still no word from either company.

I also hate losing things. The mystery of what happened to them nags me forever. So, if any of you have any information about the following items, I am offering a reward:

1. Verizon car cell phone charger
2. Large blue beach towel with a goofy looking surfer on it
3. Blackish Nalgene
4. Hunting knife that folds to close
5. Purple "jelly" sandal (last seen in Corpus Christi in the mid '80's)

All information can be left as a comment on this post. Happy hunting!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Maybe the purple jelly has drifted to Hawaii by now... we'll keep an eye out come April!

Barb said...

Okay, so you sound so much like me it is spooky! The piles, messes, warranties, the works!

I think I saw the jelly sandle on Spec's beach this summer! Haha!

Princess in Galoshes said...

I lost my favorite scarf in San Francisco, if it makes you feel any better to know you are not alone in your angst. I am so obsessed with it, I have dreamt about finding it in my suitcase two nights in a row, now.

Anna said...

Which reminds me, I'm missing Middle March - has anyone seen that?

Tracy said...

sorry, no info on the missing items...I am stuck back on the statement about how you like clear counters etc. Yea, me too. If I could find mine I would clear it.

Adrienne said...

my money is on the towel and nalgene, and most likely purple jelly as well, being somewhere in the pile of Tap lost and found trash bags, inevitably wet and molding and buried under the office porch somewhere with poor susie camper's lost Bible which she replaced 6 years ago. Best of luck.

Nana said...

I'm Summer Terhune's mom - wanted to know who c3 was on her blog comments. So I was reading through and you are missing a Verizon car charger - we just changed phones and I'm sure we have some car charges around - if you haven't found it yet, leave a message on her blog and perhaps we can send one out to you - I'm always in a quandry as to what to do with the charges/phones/etc.