Monday, January 21, 2008

Fresh Starts

I realize that New Year’s resolutions are a bit cliché, but they inspire me nonetheless. I love the idea of fresh starts, new beginnings, and blank pages. And for some reason, that change from 2007 to 2008 makes December seem far away, even though it was only last month. What I did last year is now separated from me by a clearly-defined barrier, and what lies ahead… well, it could be anything.

AJ and I, like most of America, have resolved to live a healthier lifestyle in 2008. We were never terribly unhealthy people to begin with, but at the end of ’07 the busyness of our lives seemed to encroach upon our resolve to exercise and eat well. We slept in a few more mornings and ate a few more frozen pizzas at night. Then the holidays hit, and we consumed enough sugar to last a whole year. I felt like I needed to go to detox.

We are now entering the third week of our new routine, and I feel really good. We’ve been working out almost every day and eating lots of vegetables, chicken, eggs, whole grains, nuts and berries. We’ve avoided sugar, salt and processed foods and also have discovered that we absolutely love natural peanut butter. (That may be our downfall.)

I’ve always known the benefits of eating well and exercising, but I was a bit surprised by the increase in energy, disappearance of cravings and overall positive mental impact. Really, why was I not doing this all along? I’m not sure if we’ve lost much weight yet, because I still haven’t heard from the scale company regarding my warranty claim, and I’m not sure that I ever will. But at least we feel healthier.

Another resolution came in the form of a challenge from the leader of our local girls’ outreach. Among other things, she challenged us to pray through Colossians 3:1-17 every day for a week for someone we love. I have done it for five days now, and it has been such a blessing. I’ve loved these verses for several years and even had some of them read at our wedding, but they have spoken to me in a new way this past week. I encourage you all to pray through them as well.

Colossians 3:1-17 (NASB):

Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.
Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience, and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them. But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him-- a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all.
So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.
Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

In old business, I am now on page 960 of War and Peace. It is getting better and better, and I’m having to fight the urge to spend all of my non-work time reading it. My only disappointment is that while reading some literary reviews online, I accidentally discovered that two of the main characters get married. I hate ruined surprises!

I’ve also been distracted by the Masterpiece Theatre showing of all six Jane Austen novels. Does life get any better? I watched Persuasion last week, and I thought it was very well done. I own a different version of it, but I like Anne Elliot better in the PBS version. I DVR’d Northanger Abbey last night, so I’m looking forward to watching that later this week.

Lastly, I want you all to know that my previous post led to no new information about the whereabouts of my missing items. Apparently not as many people read this blog as I thought. To any new readers: the reward still stands.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I truly hope I am the person getting prayed for. Also - here's a helpful hint: stay away from the jalapeno poppers sometimes offered at your place of business. (tee hee)
Love Kim