Happy New Year, everyone! Can you believe it is 2008?
I really meant to post on January 1st... I had some great New Year's resolutions to share... I considered taking some pictures of the beautiful snow we received in abundance... I wanted to tell you about how AJ and I went snowshoeing... but then this got in the way:

War and Peace. Some say it's the greatest novel ever written. I can neither agree nor disagree, since my favorite book tends to be whatever I'm reading at the moment. But I will say that it is masterfully written and has consumed me for many, many days (and I'm sure it will consume me for many more, since I'm only on page 670 of 1110).
The year is 1812. Napoleon just invaded Russia and his army is headed towards Moscow. Prince Nikolay Bolkonsky just died, and I'm eager to know what will become of his children Andrey and Marya. Natasha seems to be falling in love with Pierre, but what about Andrey? And what happened to Anatole? So many questions.
I know, I'm a big nerd. My friend Not a Local told me so when she asked me what I was reading the other night. But then she asked AJ what he was reading, and he said Liar's Poker. "What's that about?" she asked. "Bond trading in the '80's," he replied. And I'm the nerd?!
Anyway, I love literature, and I'm not the only one who believes in its value. C.S. Lewis wrote, and I agree, that "literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become."
On an unrelated note, for another example of just how cute my niece is, check this out: Can you name this tune?
War and Peace. Some say it's the greatest novel ever written. I can neither agree nor disagree, since my favorite book tends to be whatever I'm reading at the moment. But I will say that it is masterfully written and has consumed me for many, many days (and I'm sure it will consume me for many more, since I'm only on page 670 of 1110).
The year is 1812. Napoleon just invaded Russia and his army is headed towards Moscow. Prince Nikolay Bolkonsky just died, and I'm eager to know what will become of his children Andrey and Marya. Natasha seems to be falling in love with Pierre, but what about Andrey? And what happened to Anatole? So many questions.
I know, I'm a big nerd. My friend Not a Local told me so when she asked me what I was reading the other night. But then she asked AJ what he was reading, and he said Liar's Poker. "What's that about?" she asked. "Bond trading in the '80's," he replied. And I'm the nerd?!
Anyway, I love literature, and I'm not the only one who believes in its value. C.S. Lewis wrote, and I agree, that "literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become."
On an unrelated note, for another example of just how cute my niece is, check this out: Can you name this tune?
7 comments:
I'll be curious to hear your comments about this book. I've never read it, although I have read Anna Karenina (long before bookclubbed by Oprah!) which was good, tragic, interesting...
You've inspired me to try it! Although the 1100 pages seem a bit daunting.
Lisa - I loved Anna Karenina too, but I think I like this one better. I enjoy the historial aspects, and it's not as tragic (as of page 700 anyway.)
H - You should read it. Don't be daunted by the length. I always look at long books as a bonus, because you get more time to get to know the characters. Plus, I'm always sad when I'm done reading a good book, because I want to know what happens to the characters next. I look at long books (if they're good) like getting two seasons of your favorite show. :)
It's nice that you haven't changed. :-)
Also: your niece's version of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" was brilliant in that it contained neither the words "Baa," "Black," nor "sheep" but was still completely identifiable.
Is it just me or was your niece's video sideways? Kind of how I feel about War and Peace as well. I'm hopelessly lost in the sea of names, history and culture. Each night I go through the same ritual - get in bed, lift up War and Peace from off my bedside stand (no small feat), find my page (near the beginning) read one paragraph (or less) wake up next day. Terrible! And I'm so impressed with your friend Princess who knew the name of the song your niece was singing. My confusion was only doubled - nay, tripled after reading your post and all that about all the characters you seem to know who are only a foggy cluster to me, then finding the sideways video, then not having a clue what song she was singing! So - clearly I need help - please post an outline of war and peace when you get a chance. : ) Love Kim
Kim - Does your copy of War and Peace have a list of character names by family at the beginning? That was very helpful to me when I first started reading, because there are so many variations of everyone's name (and they're all pretty similar to begin with.) I'll get to work on that outline, but keep reading. It's worth it!
I noticed you posted a birthday picture instead of the War and Peace cheat notes. So I have resorted to downloading it to my ipod. (War and Peace, not the cute photo of Jen) Unfortunately I still fall asleep to it, with the added blessing of not having a 100 pound book fall on my sweet face. There's no hope for me. Did you get my "Books that make you dumb article?" I have read all the ones in the dumb column, which is probably a bad thing. However Life of Pi was near the middle - which gives me hope. Love Kim
Post a Comment