
On Monday AJ and I celebrated our second anniversary. I feel so blessed when I think about how close we have become and how our marriage has grown over the past two years. AJ is such a wonderful husband to me.
We hadn't made any grand plans for our anniversary, since we are going on kind of a second honeymoon to Hawaii in April. However, when the weekend arrived, we were itching to get out of town for a night. We decided to go to Saratoga Springs, because it is only an hour and a half away, and it has a great downtown area that we love.
AJ (who swears that he is not romantic) bought me roses and a box of chocolates and found us a nice, modern hotel right on the main drag. He also took me to a fancy French restaurant for dinner, which was quite an experience in itself. As the couples on either side of us discussed which $100 bottle of wine to buy, AJ and I quietly ordered ice waters and pretended to be more sophisticated than we really are.
I ordered the most recognizable entree on the menu (there was no chicken to choose from!), and when the waiter set it in front of me, it didn't even resemble what I had pictured in my mind. (It reminded me of how my mom teased me for ordering a hamburger at the nice restaurant I went to before my first Homecoming dance in 9th grade.) The food ended up being very rich but very good, except for the $8 side salads that were only one small pile of greens with a drizzle of dressing on top. Not the best $16 we've spent.
We ate breakfast in the same restaurant the next morning because it was included in our hotel stay, and it was awesome. It suited us much better in the daytime. We were the only ones there until a mom came in with four boys, whom we suspected were in town for a hockey tournament. Shortly after two more boys came in wearing pajama pants and no shoes. The mom didn't notice right away, but AJ and I had to laugh at her utter mortification when she sent them back upstairs a few minutes later and called her husband to find out just how he could have let this happen.
We spent Sunday afternoon walking around downtown. It was cold and rainy, so we ducked into several shops that we probably wouldn't have stopped at otherwise. We found a small art store, where AJ discovered a matted portrait of Teddy Roosevelt with several collector postage stamps at the bottom. AJ loves Teddy Roosevelt, so we were excited about this unexpected find!
Overall, it was a perfect weekend and a great reminder of just how blessed we are.
3 comments:
Congratulations! And wow. Two years. I can't believe it. Where does that time go????
The last time Nate and I ate at a French restaurant he tried to order what he thought would be the meatiest meal. And when it came out it seriously resembled three strips of beef jerkey with some grass shavings thrown on top. (plus some pretty drizzle). We had to stop by Dunkin Donuts afterward so he could order (and eat) 12 donuts. (makes me scared just thinking about it!) So glad you fared slightly better!
Happy Anniversary!
Post a Comment